Maritime Satcom Forum
The Maritime Satcom Forum is a GVF group dedicated to promoting the growth of satellite communications in the maritime industry. Comprised of maritime satellite service providers and technology manufacturers, the Maritime Satcom Forum (GVF-MSF) aims to heighten awareness of satellite communications in the industry, strengthen advocacy efforts, expand delivery of training at the end customer level and provide a single voice to help shipping companies evaluate and identify optimal satellite solutions.
The group’s formation follows a five-year period of intense growth in the maritime sector during which demand for satellite technology has rapidly expanded. The forum has been hosting meetings and events to provide members with opportunities to discuss key market trends and developments.
“We’ve seen a remarkable spike in the demand for satellite communications onboard vessels,” said Simon Bull, a Comsys satellite communications analyst who Chairs the group. “With so many shipping operators looking to convert their vessels into fully-connected mobile offices, there is a tremendous need to educate end users on the service levels, capabilities and benefits of VSAT technology.
In response to these trends, GVF-MSF activities include the following:
- Training – The Forum looks at the different training opportunities where the industry can better educate the maritime sector on the installation, deployment and use of satellite technology. The group also works to engage with existing maritime educational vehicles to see if a formalized satellite communications curriculum or certification would benefit the industry.
- Heightening Awareness – The GVF Maritime Satcom Forum develops industry related reports and other inputs for major maritime publications, events and exchanges of data with correspondent organisations in the maritime sector.
- Events – The GVF Maritime Forum works to analyze maritime events to determine their viability and, where possible, to improve dialogue and the availability of information. The Forum engages with leading exhibitions to bring relevant content and expertise to their conferences, as well as providing guidance and support for the GVF Maritime Broadband series of conferences.
- Associations – The GVF Maritime Satcom Forum engages maritime trade/industry associations. The groups focus on developing programs that educate end users on matters pertaining to satellite communications.
- Advocacy – The maritime industry is a global market and frequently has to address communications and technology issues with numerous regulatory issues. The Forum helps to track and monitor any issues around the use of satellite technology and build support for appropriate action wherever relevant.
Forum Advisory Board:
Membership in the GVF Maritime Satcom Forum is open to all GVF Members. The direction of the Forum is guided by an advisory board with oversight from the GVF Board of Directors and GVF Secretariat. Companies on the advisory board meet the following criteria:
- GVF member,
- Willing to offer a dedicated expert to be on the advisory board and to participate in conference calls,
- Committed to help the advisory board in one of the above listed areas in the Forum's scope.
Forum advisory board organizations: Tier-one companies will be invited to attend from the following business segments:
- FSS Operator
- MSS Operator
- Platform Technology Providers
- Global Service Providers
- Regional Service Providers
- Shipping Companies (End User)
GVF Members interested in supporting this initiative as an advisory board member are invited to contact Martin Jarrold. Please provide company name, name, title and contact information for the lead person that would like to be involved in the advisory board. We look forward to including you and your colleagues in this global industry initiative. For more information about GVF's Maritime Satcom Forum (MSF), contact the MSF Chairman, Simon Bull, Principle Analyst, COMSYS.